With the contribution by René Rudin, Victor N. Cohen & Josef Müller-Brockmann, ABC verlag, Zurich
Holy grail for designers. Hans Neuburg’s books published by ABC Verlag are very hard to find, mainly because of the specificity of the subject. Probably the best way to introduce this book is to let the editor speak, here’s the foreword opening the book.
In planning our series of books on problems and achievements in graphic design, we had a quite definite programme in mind. Vol. 1 dealt with graphic art in a swiss town. Vol. 2 was dedicated to official official Swiss graphic art. Vol. 3 then went more deeply into the specific problems and showed Swiss industrial graphic design. The present volume, No. 4, is conceived as an inductional book. The problems of publicity and graphic design in the chemical industry and colour chemistry are submitted and presented for discussion by means of examplary pieces of work.
After the first three volumes have not only been recieved with approval by specialists both at home and abroad but have also had the distinction of being included among the best books by the Swiss chemical industry will have a similar success.
We were aware from the beginning that the material of the publicity and graphic design in the chemical industry deals with very special means and must be elaborated like a book. Graphic design in the pharmaceutical branch is more or less concerned with imparting information. There is no actual object to be depicted in the advertisements and brochures. The abstract character of the offers demands an accurate study of publicity ressources and a presentation that is easily grasped visually. We believe that we have kept this object in view. In conclusion we also allude to the divergence of this sphere into three parts which again demand concentration on the whole range of problems in the chemical industry.
- the publicity of the Swiss chemical industry (Hans Neuburg)
- Dynamic chemistry (René Rudin)
- Some aspects regarding publicity in the chemical industry (Victor N. Cohen)
- Problems of composition in graphic design in the chemical industry (Joseph Müller-brockmann)
- Graphic conception in the service of pharmaceutics
- Juggling with type
- Publicity pamphlets, cards, brochures, etc.
- Announcements for pharmaceutical products
- Publicity campaigns
- Publicity for prestige
- The special fied of packaging for pharmaceutical preparations
- Publicity and design problems in colour chemistry
- Two examples for marginal field of publicity and graphic design in the chemical industry
- Various possibilities of application
- The World of chemistry
- The graphic preparations for this book
- Index firms
- Index designers, photographers and agencies
Click on the pictures to view the full size.
Pics taken from my flickr photostream (with a very high resolution).
No copy can be found at the moment, prices are around 150 euros to 500 euros. Sometimes less if your are very lucky. Send a message if you want more information about this book.
P.S. : If you want to find something cheaper, I hardly recommand Corporate Diversity published last year by swiss publisher Lars Muller. This book is probably a better partner for designers who want to find more information about swiss design, chemical industry and this perfect wedding.